Does anyone else not bother with productions?

Helazak

Re: Does anyone else not bother with productions?

Post by Helazak »

Riven326 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:34 pm I would, but I don't really understand how they work.
Lessons learned the hard way:
  • Buy one facility, preferably one that takes as an input something you harvest. OIl or grain mill are good choices.
  • Dump some product in.
  • Activate the associated production.
  • Set output to storing.
  • The facility will stack palets that you can take away to sell.
  • Keep track of how much grain you put in and track the finance page so you can see how much you are getting vs the cost of production.
  • Then you can compare the cost of just selling your grain vs the added work of production to decide if it is worth the effort.
If you set the output to distribute you will pay a distribution delivery fee which can be expensive if the target location is across them map.
If you set the output to Sale you will get a poor price.
Best to do your own deliveries and sales.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Helazak wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:06 am
Riven326 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:34 pm I would, but I don't really understand how they work.
  • Buy one facility, preferably one that takes as an input something you harvest. OIl or grain mill are good choices.
  • Dump some product in.
  • Set output to storing.
  • Keep track of how much grain you put in and track the finance page so you can see how much you are getting vs the cost of production.
  • Then you can compare the cost of just selling your grain vs the added work of production to decide if it is worth the effort.
If you set the output to distribute you will pay a distribution delivery fee which can be expensive if the target location is across them map.
Thanks for explaining it. Much appreciated.
Candyman35

Post by Candyman35 »

• Dump some product in.
  • Set output to storing.
Wow you hafta pay to deliver to own factories?
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Candyman35 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:35 pm Wow you hafta pay to deliver to own factories?
Of cause - even if you drove it yourself, there would still be a cost, fuel and wear. But when you have it delivered, there is also wage to pay to the driver - even though it's a fictional delivery guy, he still needs money to feed his fictional kids...
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
sporadicsmiles

Post by sporadicsmiles »

The idea of having production is a nice idea, but they are so weirdly implemented. Having a huge factory on your farm just does not feel right, and owning such a factory is also weird. Couple that to the pallet spawning and having to do endless forklift work, and it is simply not fun. It is an overused cliche, but I play to farm, not to stack pallets with the janky FS22 pallet physics. I never really was that into the whole idea of them to start with, and I am still not. Which is fine, I can just not use them, and let people who enjoy to use them use them. It is what it is, after all.

What I think bothers me is that these changes come at the expense of actual improvements that could have been made to farming. Take animals, for instance. Now I get we will never get the whole realism thing here. No dying, for instance. No butcher either. But we can have something better than the terrible model of animals we have now. No models for young animals? No accurate simulation of number of offspring? No implementation of male and female animals? No simulation of the breeding cycle to control when you have new births? No variation in price that could be linked to something that could at least pretend to be pedigree breeding? No cycling of milk/wool based on the time of year? No accurate model for feeding animals? No grazing? No easy way to make a field into a pasture? Yes, I know most of this is now in mods, but it is not good for a farming simulator that a large chunk of farming is not, well, simulated.

I mean I can go on and on there. You can likely find other areas where the farming has not really taken a step forward. It to me seemed like a wrong focus.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

sporadicsmiles wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:41 am pallet spawning and having to do endless forklift work, and it is simply not fun. It is an overused cliche, but I play to farm, not to stack pallets with the janky FS22 pallet physics.
Which is why I use auto load with the KRONE Triler Profi Liner. The pallets jump into the trailer.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Anybody using warehouses? After seaching through the mods I settled on the Large Logistic Warehouse with Automatic Store which as the capability to drop the products off and then have them spawn. And I have not found any restrictions on what can be stored there. Most others wont except different products. Just trying to find a nice place to keep products until the sell price is good.

Problem is there is no organization within the warehouse. I drops products on the first available shelf. when I go to unload lettuce, there are 8 different lettuce locations and i have to sort sequentionally to find them all.

What are you using?

Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Been spending more time with my productions and have a few observations.
I use the Krone Profi Liner to move my pallets around. ( it is in Miscellaneous)

General issues:
When you pick up product (say 10 pallets of eggs from the chicken yard) and then deliver it to another production (bakery), it unloads one package from each pallet until it reaches max. Which leaves as many as 10 half empty pallets (depending on how close to full your bakery was). The only way to fill a half empty pallet is to take it back to the producer and place it in the spawn spot and hope it recognizes it and fills the pallet. (not a guarentee)

Of all the warehouse and pallet storage mods I have looked at, common problems are:
  1. Insufficient help. Some I just couldnt figure out.
  2. Pick up locations wrong shape. Most often the pick up location is too narrow and 4 rows deep. The trailer autoload can't reach that far and you have to come at it a couple times.
  3. Drop off location inaccessable. The drop off is inside the barn and the auto unload sees it as an obstruction so you have to drop off outide and move them in manually.
  4. Pick up Inconvienient. There are some shelving mods where you can store product groups but if you stack them so you can easily drop off one after another, then the pick up is at a 90 degree angle and you have to drive around to get product. You have a choice, line them up for easy pickup or easy drop off. Not both. Some warehouses have the same issue, but they hold enough you probably are not going to group them.
  5. Pickup box is before the drop off box, so once you pick up and drive away you imediately drop them off again. Had the drop off been first in line it wouldn't be a problem.
  6. Accepts products, but wont spawn all products.
  7. Requires special trailer, but can only hold one product at a time. Loading a second product destroys what is in the trailer.
  8. Limited input. With all the different products, it just doesnt make sense to have storage that can only hold basic products.
  9. Poor handling of partial pallets. Inventory is a list of products. Adding full pallets adds to the inventory quantity. But adding a partial pallet adds a new line item. If you just filled your bakery with eggs and take the rest to the warehouse you will have 10 Egg entries with patial pallets. Some of the warehouses store in litres instead of pallets, but they had other issues and could not get them to work properly.
  10. Inventory list too short. The amount of space given to show what is in the warehouse is too small. With all the different products there are too many listings that are off the page.
  11. Poor sorting of inventory. Inventory list is first in first out. Being able to sort by group or alphabetically would be helful.
Currently my favorite warehouses are the Large Logistic Warehouse Mod (with Auto Storage) holds 450 pallets, and the Bale and Pallet Storage Mod which olds 750 pallets. Neither are perfect but rise above the rest.

Staalker

Post by Staalker »

Candyman35 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:35 pm
  • Dump some product in.
  • Set output to storing.
Wow you hafta pay to deliver to own factories?
No, you do not pay a fee for distribution. The person who this is either lying, or just doesn't know what they are talking about.
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

Helazak wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:53 pm Been spending more time with my productions and have a few observations.
I use the Krone Profi Liner to move my pallets around. ( it is in Miscellaneous)

General issues:
When you pick up product (say 10 pallets of eggs from the chicken yard) and then deliver it to another production (bakery), it unloads one package from each pallet until it reaches max. Which leaves as many as 10 half empty pallets (depending on how close to full your bakery was). The only way to fill a half empty pallet is to take it back to the producer and place it in the spawn spot and hope it recognizes it and fills the pallet. (not a guarentee)

Of all the warehouse and pallet storage mods I have looked at, common problems are:
  2. Pick up locations wrong shape. Most often the pick up location is too narrow and 4 rows deep. The trailer autoload can't reach that far and you have to come at it a couple times.
  3. Drop off location inaccessable. The drop off is inside the barn and the auto unload sees it as an obstruction so you have to drop off outide and move them in manually.
  4. Pick up Inconvienient. There are some shelving mods where you can store product groups but if you stack them so you can easily drop off one after another, then the pick up is at a 90 degree angle and you have to drive around to get product. You have a choice, line them up for easy pickup or easy drop off. Not both. Some warehouses have the same issue, but they hold enough you probably are not going to group them.
  5. Pickup box is before the drop off box, so once you pick up and drive away you imediately drop them off again. Had the drop off been first in line it wouldn't be a problem.
  7. Requires special trailer, but can only hold one product at a time. Loading a second product destroys what is in the trailer.
  8. Limited input. With all the different products, it just doesnt make sense to have storage that can only hold basic products.
  9. Poor handling of partial pallets. Inventory is a list of products. Adding full pallets adds to the inventory quantity. But adding a partial pallet adds a new line item. If you just filled your bakery with eggs and take the rest to the warehouse you will have 10 Egg entries with patial pallets. Some of the warehouses store in litres instead of pallets, but they had other issues and could not get them to work properly.
  10. Inventory list too short. The amount of space given to show what is in the warehouse is too small. With all the different products there are too many listings that are off the page.
  11. Poor sorting of inventory. Inventory list is first in first out. Being able to sort by group or alphabetically would be helful.
Currently my favorite warehouses are the Large Logistic Warehouse Mod (with Auto Storage) holds 450 pallets, and the Bale and Pallet Storage Mod which olds 750 pallets. Neither are perfect but rise above the rest.
You could simply leave the half empty pallet on the delivery space, and as they use eggs inside it will take some from the pallet until they are gone.

But your other points are accurate.

The largest flaw with production is that they produce far too few items in a season to be worth it.

It takes years to make the money from the factory that you would have gotten from the crops put into it, and then add the cost of the manufacturing and building/buying the factory.

Production is a long game. Don't expect to make a profit for many seasons, and then expect to wait for that profit to come in.

You had all the costs of planting and harvesting, then you dump it into a factory and have to wait for that production to run, and in the end you wait for the peak price point for the final product.

You can literally wait several seasons before you see a return on those initial crops, and all the while you have been paying operational costs.
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

Staalker wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:32 am
Helazak wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:53 pm Been spending more time with my productions and have a few observations.

General issues:

You could simply leave the half empty pallet on the delivery space, and as they use eggs inside it will take some from the pallet until they are gone.

But your other points are accurate.

The largest flaw with production is that they produce far too few items in a season to be worth it.

It takes years to make the money from the factory that you would have gotten from the crops put into it, and then add the cost of the manufacturing and building/buying the factory.

Production is a long game. Don't expect to make a profit for many seasons, and then expect to wait for that profit to come in.

You had all the costs of planting and harvesting, then you dump it into a factory and have to wait for that production to run, and in the end you wait for the peak price point for the final product.

You can literally wait several seasons before you see a return on those initial crops, and all the while you have been paying operational costs.
yeah, I only sell my productions once a year but for things like clothes I might even wait two.
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Guil

Post by Guil »

I didn't bother with any productions until recently. I was using a fermenter silo to create silage and have since started doing beets and bought a sugar beet plant. I think it's a mod or comes with the map we use in mp but you input beets and water and get out beet cut, stones and slurry
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I have used every production element in the base game + dlc and a fair few mods. A lot of them are really cool but become tedious after awhile. I tend to focus more on productions for the farm itself now. On most playthroughs I do everything myself so saving time fermenting silage or cutting out a step drying grass can often save me a lot of time depending on how farm along I am and how much work I have to do. Being able to produce farm supplies myself plus nifty things like bee hives and greenhouses really help to offset the cost of my laziness and even put a couple dollars in my purse sometimes. I play pretty small so even using *most* productions, my profit margins aren't giant. On average I might make a few thousand or more without productions a year and maybe around 10 with. And thats on a "good year" where we don't need any big investments into the farm.
I have thought about it and being able to essentially use factories for a fee would be ideal. Take sugar for example. If I am going to bake up some cakes I have to invest in that whole line. Which would be fine I guess but I only need, at most, a pallet or 2 of sugar a year. I don't need a $100,000 factory for this and I am certainly not going to fill it with the fields I work. But being able to tip some product in an unowned factory, tell the workers what I would like them to make with it and being charged a fee for the service. Yea that sounds about right in most cases to me.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

interesting note. The mine shaft is a total money maker. 2000l ore per hour for 570k per year at $1000 per 1000 litre for only 250k facility.
the metal factory is only 180k and tripples the price of the ore. 1 mine, can feed 4 factories. pays for itself in in a year and gives right at $1M per year revenue.

PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

The ore is typically way beyond the scope of the way I play. I have enjoyed making metal for the other productions on Silverrun, NML & Western Wilds. But I would never sell ore outright. Its too easy. I could just invest in mines, sell points and conveyors and just feed ore directly into sell points and figure out how much money I can have before it breaks the game :) never lift a finger
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick