github

Helazak

github

Post by Helazak »

funny I couldn't find a topic about this.
What is the Official Giants position on github?

Is it discouraged?
Is it intentionally ignored?
Is it a recognized additional resouce but not guarenteed "approved" content?

I am guessing that because it has more information about mods than modhub it is at least appreciated.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Noraf

Re: github

Post by Noraf »

Several mods on the modhub does link to git for Readme and support
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

As far as I know, only GIANTS Modhub is "official" and so will be "at your own risk" on PC and "sorry but you can't" on console. Having said that, mods on github tend to be actively developed and usually/mostly the creator's own work, by which I mean unlike those scraper-sites you're not getting someone else's work re-uploaded and possibly messed about with. And, of course, there's often the ability to raise issues and comment on github.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:08 pm As far as I know, only GIANTS Modhub is "official" and so will be "at your own risk" on PC
This from the courseplay team on their Github has always made me chuckle.

"The Courseplay team will not take any responsibility for crop destroyed, savegames deleted or baby pandas killed"
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

I don't think there needs to be an official Giants position about Github.
They provide us with their own Modhub. It's safe to assume anything external would be at your own risk since they don't maintain or govern it.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Helazak wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:23 pm What is the Official Giants position on github?
What position should Giants have?
Github is THE platform for developers to maintain their code. Most likely Giants is using github for their own code as well, just in a non public setup.
Modders use it to provide a central place for feedback, collaboration and revision tracking. They could do most of that in a facebook group or in a forum. But github has all the necessary tools available in one place. Additionally, other developers can easily review code and provide changes to the original developer.

And no, not every modder uses github. But most likely every modder creating script mods is using github.
This way they can publish their mod to have it tested by players before sending it to Modhub. Of course you find detailed information to specific mods only on a github page. Why should the modder provide the information somewhere else?
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker