Making all mods

blue_painted

Re: Making all mods

Post by blue_painted »

nase1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm I have just the mods from mod hud that Giant's have on their site that they give us that is on their website and if it is on there all mods should work with any mod on there. They have a better computer then I have so they should be able to have all the mods on their computer or computers so they can make sure that all mods they say we can have are compatible with all. That Is Their Job Not Mine!!!!!!
Okay, so joking apart, I think it has been adequately explained that no one -- not even GIANTS -- could test all combinations of the 6333 mods on the modhub, and it's worth remembering that those mods are free and entirely optional.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

nase1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm I have just the mods from mod hud that Giant's have on their site that they give us that is on their website and if it is on there all mods should work with any mod on there. They have a better computer then I have so they should be able to have all the mods on their computer or computers so they can make sure that all mods they say we can have are compatible with all. That Is Their Job Not Mine!!!!!!
Again, you are incorrect. Their job is to make sure mods work with the game, not other mods.
Playing on PC and PS4
herrman

Post by herrman »

Drmattymd wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 pm
Again, you are incorrect. Their job is to make sure mods work with the game, not other mods.
And again I 'd like people to notice that they often miss this target too.
Guy, if you're gonna ask for help remember that we're not beside you in front of your screen. So, please, help us helping you by giving us some details such as log.txt, hardware details...

And remember, this is a forum. It is different from Twitter. Here you can, no, you MUST use more than 150 digits to explain your thoughts

Thanks
nase1

Post by nase1 »

Decriptus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 pm They can't test every mod to see if it conflicts with other mods....there are thousands
They have a better computer then I have so they should be able to have all the mods on their computer or computers so they can make sure that all mods they say we can have are compatible with all. That Is Their Job Not Mine!!!!!!
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

nase1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:10 am
They have a better computer then I have so they should be able to have all the mods on their computer or computers so they can make sure that all mods they say we can have are compatible with all. That Is Their Job Not Mine!!!!!!
They aren’t meant to work together. So they don’t.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Decriptus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 pm They can't test every mod to see if it conflicts with other mods....there are thousands
Again, No its not their job to make sure all mods are compatible with each other
Playing on PC and PS4
humbe

Post by humbe »

I understand wanting all the mods to work together.. Though sadly this is a complex issue, and not something you can expect to just work, when mods are allowed to change so many aspects of the game.

As people say, testing all mods with all other mods is a little feasible task to begin with due to all the combinations. But even if they did manage to do that, how are they supposed to work out conflicts?

What if I created a silo mod which worked with everything currently in the game, and then later someone created a trailer mod, and it worked with everything but my silo. There could be an issue with the silo mod, or the trailer mod, or the base game. Finding out where the issue is, can be a lot of work, and can also be debatable. Both sides can argue that they mod works and the issue can be fixed if the other side does some alterations, and they both may be correct and it's a design decision what is the best solution. Which mod do they throw out of the game to ensure all mods that are in there work together? What if they decided the silo mod was to blame, but then there was 100 other mods depending on that silo mod that then needed to be removed too?

Mods that don't affect each other are much easier to get working. For instance if a silo mod uses base game functionality to tell the game, this is the hitbox, this is where you can empty these type of crops, and here's where you can fill crops back into something. Similarly, if trailers used base game functionality to tell that these crops types can be emptied out at this position of the implement using base game functionality, there is no direct mod to mod interaction, and it's a lot easier to get stuff working across. However, if such base game APIs do not exist, and mods needs to create APIs for other mods to use, it's basically impossible for Giants to verify that they work correctly.

This is likely why one of the FS22 features was getting production chains into the game. There used to be community created mods in FS19 with base functionality for production that tons of other mods depended on, and that made it impossible for giants to verify that everything worked across. By grabbing the base functionality mods and including the functionality into the base game, it's a lot easier to reduce the amount of mod to mod interaction. This is the approach used to try and improve the situation.

But, all in all, if you want mods to be able to change a lot of the game, as it is now, we just have to expect mod conflicts to exist. For the ones hitting popular mods, the community will hopefully resolve issues within eventually.

If Giants needed to avoid all mod conflicts, they would have to severely limit what mods are allowed to change, and to remove all mod to mod interaction.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

One last time ...

The amount that their computer would have to be better than yours is such a very, very very big number that it's practically impossible. This is where your "they should" falls down because "they can't": To give you a bit of scale, there are 3.156e7 seconds in a year, 3.156e+9 in 100 years, 3.156e+12 in 100,000 years ... my initial (faulty understated) calculation gave 3.0812e+4382 - so if every test took 1ms, we'd be long dead before the first run of tests completed.

And, as has been pointed out elsewhere: No, It's Not Their Job.

(And I've just realised that my calculation is understated - simple "factorial(number of mods)" misses out that any mod can and often will have several functions, which would mean the correct calculation would be: factorial(mods-per-page * pages-on-mod-hub * functions-per-mod))
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

IMO anyone who would suggest Giants is responsible for assuring all mods work together, can't fathom what is involved.

IMO Giants should focus on the base game and improve it. There is a lot they could do to complete the game.
They provide a bucket for the mods, and it's your choice to use them at your own risk.