Whats the point to MP?

BCRancher

Whats the point to MP?

Post by BCRancher »

I dont understand the draw for multi-player in FS2013. In a SP game, the draw is to succeed; to grind through field after field of harvests, manipulating the crop prices to get the most out of your work and ultimately getting the most efficient productivity out of your gameplay. You can be proud of your success because you did all the "work" of a farmer and you can see the results of your efforts.

In MP, each player actively works AGAINST the reward of a single player game. Everything one person does, is something the others know they didnt do. Yes, you get the comradarie and the intangible extras (a few good laughs etc). But in FS2013 the game isnt big enough that one person cant tackle it. Even still, what's the point if it was? The reward isnt owned by the majority of the players, it's only owned by the game starter.. the "manager" per say.

MMO's have the recipe for multiplayer success down to a science, mixing the right balance of personal achievement and group goals. FS2013 has "group goals" down, but where is the personal achievement in MP? I heard someone refer to a "trailer jockey" in another thread and I had to laugh. Why would anyone play multiplayer JUST to drive a tractor with a trailer and offload a harvest? Really? That's entertaining?

What am I missing? Why should I play MP?
zanarkin

Re: Whats the point to MP?

Post by zanarkin »

On a 24/7 hosted map, the player takes on the role of a employee and plenty of people seem to enjoy the task. They show up to work (log in) and see what needs done on the farm that day. Because others play the game at varying hours, the next day the farm isn't how the player left it. Its something different that needs doing each time they log in.

Some players don't like BioGas but other players love it. In multiplayer it works out where you usually don't have to touch what you don't enjoy but if you do enjoy it, the job is always there for you to act as 'BioGas manager' of sorts. In a single player you can't really do that as your attention must be in a lot of other places.

I've seen players who love working cows and nothing else. They log in and feed them and go get more bales. The rest of the farm is handled by other players. In a single player game if you worked cows, fast forwarded time, worked cows, the rest of the farm would fall into disarray.