[REQUEST/BRAINSTORMING] Warehouses.

Cadde

[REQUEST/BRAINSTORMING] Warehouses.

Post by Cadde »

I would like to have a mod where you operate a small warehouse. Here's the basic idea on how it could work:

This is mainly a pallet operations based idea. You buy/place a warehouse. Outside the warehouse, trailers with pallets of various shapes and sizes in them will arrive.
Some pallets may need to go onto another trailer, some pallets need to go into the warehouse and some trailers need to have pallets from the warehouse loaded onto them.

The different pallet types determine their "destinations" so to speak. Depending on their shape/color/size etc they will either go into the warehouse or onto another trailer.
Some are more likely to enter/leave the warehouse so you can organize where to put them. (first in queue or last in queue etc)
As a trailer enters your loading/unloading area it may have a number of pallets that need to go to other trailers or the warehouse and then when emptied may need to be filled with pallets from your warehouse to be released.
The filling order is important, the trailers have slots where certain pallets need to go. If you fill the trailer in the wrong order you will not be able to load the first slots or the slots you "skipped".
If you release a trailer that hasn't been loaded correctly you are punished with less pay.

You are paid whenever a trailer leaves the loading area and the amount you are paid is based on the pallet types you just moved around. The pallets that stay at your warehouse the longest pay the most, pallets that are shifted from one trailer to the other pay the least. The sum of these payouts are then multiplied by the amount of time that particular trailer stayed in the loading area. Short stay is the highest multiplier. At worst, you get a 1x multiplier if the trailer isn't loaded in XYZ time.

If a trailer stays for too long and isn't being loaded/unloaded it just leaves and another enters the loading area.

Finally, there should be more than one loading/unloading areas/spots. Allowing for multiplayer and prioritizing the load order.
So if two trailers arrive that both need a few of the same type of pallet you can shuttle those pallets (or double load on your long forks if you have them etc) out to the loading area.

Finally, you get the occasional container that needs to be emptied / filled with pallets of a certain type and that type alone. These containers stay for however long it takes to complete them and you are paid a fixed sum depending on the type of pallets it holds. These containers can be moved around with forks or by pushing them. So you can organize that too and reap the benefits of having them around your loading/unloading areas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like it if someone made a mod like this. (You don't necessarily have to implement all the features right away)
But that's not something i demand of anyone, i am merely throwing the idea out there for people to discuss.

I might start developing the idea myself but the thing that stops me from doing so at this point is my limited experience with the game engine. I could do it if i felt motivated in getting familiar with the scripting and modeling required but at this current time i feel i would drop the project because it would be too much to take in for a first mod.

I tried adding more camera angles to vehicle first person seats and that didn't go well either. The scripts that deal with cameras and the core functionality around cameras seem rather locked in... That or i just didn't look hard enough to find a good place to inject my code. (So if i gave up on that "simple" task, what would make me think i can do this one?)

Anyways, discuss!
Nina

Re: [REQUEST/BRAINSTORMING] Warehouses.

Post by Nina »

this sounds like a MASSIVE mod. almost like it's own game mode. realy awsome idea. would add being able to close the warehouse so things dont show up ALL the time and you can get up and do other things. can close the warehouse and after you send off the last truck, no more come. then you can go farm a bit. untill you want to open up again.
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Nina wrote:this sounds like a MASSIVE mod. almost like it's own game mode. realy awsome idea. would add being able to close the warehouse so things dont show up ALL the time and you can get up and do other things. can close the warehouse and after you send off the last truck, no more come. then you can go farm a bit. untill you want to open up again.
The idea is that you simply leave it to do it's thing (that is nothing) if you have other things to take care of. It doesn't cost you anything to not move the pallets. Apart from a potential daily maintenance cost but that applies to everything you own already. Why would this be any different?

As for the massiveness, it's quite simple when you think of it. The most difficult part would be to make the "requires this and that unloaded and this and that loaded" routine. The rest would sorta be left to the game to handle.
My goal is to keep it as simple as possible while being dynamic enough to not get repetitive like the sheep farming is.
Nina

Post by Nina »

another thing you would want is a forklift that actulay fits INSIDE of a trailer like IRL. a real setup, you can set pallets 2 wide inside a trailer by actualy driving the forklift into it. or mabey have a pallet jack that comes with the warehouse that will let you load it by hand
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Nina wrote:another thing you would want is a forklift that actulay fits INSIDE of a trailer like IRL. a real setup, you can set pallets 2 wide inside a trailer by actualy driving the forklift into it. or mabey have a pallet jack that comes with the warehouse that will let you load it by hand
I thought about that but the physics engine might not like that very much. My original idea is to have a slot in the trailer (free of close obstructions) where you pick up / drop off pallets and a "worker" inside uses a pallet jack to move the pallet into the correct location in the trailer. As long as you load the trailer in the correct order you shouldn't have to worry about fitting it neatly in the trailer. If the physics engine was more stable then of course i would want to drive into the trailer and fit the pallet snugly in there.