[Guide]Converting Mods from 2011 to 2013

Dertywerk

Re: [Guide]Converting Mods from 2011 to 2013

Post by Dertywerk »

Yeah this is a pack of the MB 1935 Agrer stuff I was trying to get working but it looks like there is so much scripting that I might as well wait until it's possible to make them fully usable. I got it to load into the game but as soon as you buy it, it just crashes. Is there an official scripting resource somewhere that they will be releasing the new info to?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1980707/MB_1935_Agrar.zip
brack

Post by brack »

I just wanted to say thanks Staalker. This guide is really useful, informative, and best of all, accurate. I'm a web programmer that would have had no idea where to start to convert a mod, however I know xml like the back of my hand. Thanks again Staalker, didn't know it was that easy for the most part.
tom42728

Post by tom42728 »

Hmm where to start

1. majority of the mods up for download are full of png files in fs 2013 they have to be dds to get rid of the raw file errors

2. as for the not equal to 2^n error the dds file needs to be size to even dimensions (i.e. 1024x1024) otherwise this error will occur

how to change the png files to dds you will need the nvidia dds plugin for photoshop or gimp or any photo editing software that supports the use of dds plugins

also needed in conversions is aitrailertriggers has been changed to combineTrailerTriggers for combine harvesters
Platform: PC
Specs: ASUS ROG Strix x570 MB, Ryzen 9 x5950 CPU, 128gig DDR4 Ram and GTX 1660 SC Ultra Graphics Card
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

Actually, there is a difference between an "error" and a "warning".

Warnings won't stop the mod from working, it just may affect performance in some way.

An error stops the mod from working.

In this case, having the raw format could affect performance, depending on your PC. Yes, they need to be changed, but this early after release it's going to take a while before modders get this done. So, using the basic conversion is what we consider until the real work can be done. A raw file warning won't stop the game or keep the mod from working.

However, as I have said before, not all mods can be converted this way. Many of the drive-able mods are going to have problems, due mainly to the changes in the way the driving is in game. Most of the tractors will accelerate incorrectly or be too fast or turn too sharp to be usable.

However, there are tons of mods this method will work for, at least temporarily until the modders out there can really open up the old files and do a true conversion.

It's simple: If you use this method and the mod isn't right, remove it and try something else. Eventually, the mods will become available.

I wouldn't suspect anyone who didn't understand the code or how to do the 3d modeling and textures to really jump in and try it themselves. And to try to explain it here is beyond the scope of this guide.

I have personally used this basic method to convert over 100 mods from 2011 to 2013. 75% of those work fine without issue. Some need tweaks.

Many have warnings, but they still work. I wouldn't release them for download, however, because it can affect performance on a lower end system. The only way I'd make a mod available that had raw warnings would be if it was a direct request.
simulator789

Post by simulator789 »

Thanks for this tutorial mate. Was searching for this. :wink3:
wj2982088

Post by wj2982088 »

The Moderator hello:
I follow your method to change the 2011 mod, but the game only mod is moving not. Solving. Thank you!
There <codeTag> DATA GOES HERE </ codeTag> in what position? Thank you for your reply!
tom42728

Post by tom42728 »

thanks for the clarification staalker

yeah they are warnings sorry but will add that the width or heighth is not equal to 2^n warning will cause that file to not display in the game (diffusedecals.dds file was one of mine) and result was my modified krone combine would show the pipe and wheels and not the body

i have browsed for mods and downloaded many of them to try and most of them had the warnings and alot of them had errors that prevent them from working

I have many mods from fs 2011 where these supposed warnings as you say would be fixed down the line but they are still up for download on most of the modding sites with the errors and warnings still present - i had spent hours on end for days fixing all the ones i have

i have converted some over and yeah noticed the drivability is erractic fixing them not to big an issue but takes some time to tweak and test them

anyway thanks for the tutorial it was a big help to get started
Specs: ASUS ROG Strix x570 MB, Ryzen 9 x5950 CPU, 128gig DDR4 Ram and GTX 1660 SC Ultra Graphics Card
chevygeerts

Post by chevygeerts »

I used the mod converting guide and got the mod to load, but when i go to buy it it says un able to buy please pick up you purchsed equipment frist i am pretty sure i converted it right
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

If it has custom scripts, it's possible that it's causing a problem.

First thing you should do is check my troubleshooting section.

You need to look at your log.txt file and see what the error is. With the error, I can be of more help.
Lars-the-Dane

Post by Lars-the-Dane »

hi I have been trying to converte a mod following the steps in the guide. but it dosent work :-(
I have changed this line <modDesc descVersion="9"> from 4 to 9
and I have added this <dailyUpkeep>250</dailyUpkeep>
<brand>John Deere</brand>
<machineType>Tractor</machineType>
but is dosen't work did I miss anything???
Jesus loves you!! Odin demands you to GROW THE fu** UP
Lars-the-Dane

Post by Lars-the-Dane »

I have solved my problem :-) But now I have another one. when I try to buy the tractor It says that I dont have anymore room to buy it. but there is't any thing standing outside the shop

I have found these in the log

Warning (performance): Raw texture format (C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7930/store.png)
Warning (performance): Raw texture format (C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/MasseyFerguson_Cerea7278_Pack/store_bm.png)
Warning (performance): Raw texture format (C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7530_PremiumFL/Textures/store.png)
data/vehicles/cars/car4.i3d (0.33mb in 32.18 ms)
Error: Failed to open xml file C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7530_PremiumFL/John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL.xml'
Error: Failed to open xml file C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7530_PremiumFL/John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL.xml'
Error loadVehicle: invalid vehicle config file 'C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7530_PremiumFL/John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL.xml', no type specified
Jesus loves you!! Odin demands you to GROW THE fu** UP
chevygeerts

Post by chevygeerts »

i have found the error but not sure what script i need to change sence iam rather new at modding?
here is my error

Error: Can't load resource: C:/Users/Matt & Heather/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/IH_1586FS2013/brand.png
falcon_426

Post by falcon_426 »

For the first error about the .xml file, you might need to go into the modesc.xml. There is probably a line where it says something like this:
<xmlFilename>John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL.xml</xmlFilename>

You will probably need to remove the spaces in that string and replace them with _ so that it looks like this:
<xmlFilename>John_Deere_7530_E_Premium_FL.xml</xmlFilename>

Someone else might be able to confirm this for me, but I don't think it likes spaces in the file name pointers. I haven't run into that issue yet, so I am just guessing.

The second error about no type specified looks like it is in your John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL.xml file. Look in there and make sure there is something like this at the top:
<vehicle type="tractor">

The warnings about raw textures seem to just make the mod take a little longer to load, but I haven't seen anything worse from them, yet. You shouldn't have to worry about them.
Lars-the-Dane wrote:I have solved my problem :-) But now I have another one. when I try to buy the tractor It says that I dont have anymore room to buy it. but there is't any thing standing outside the shop

Warning (performance): Raw texture format (C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7930/store.png)
Warning (performance): Raw texture format (C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/MasseyFerguson_Cerea7278_Pack/store_bm.png)
Warning (performance): Raw texture format (C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7530_PremiumFL/Textures/store.png)
Error loadVehicle: invalid vehicle config file 'C:/Users/Reorx/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2013/mods/JD7530_PremiumFL/John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL.xml', no type specified
tom42728

Post by tom42728 »

I am working on the John Deere 7530 Premium mod now there was one up for download full of UVs out of range errors
so far i have solved those and resolved all the warnings as well

i have encountered an issue with the lights have to hold F till work lights come on for them to stay on
will sort this out shortly and then work on adding the front loader to it

but actually dropped over to inquire on another warning "Warning: 'emitter1': Air is not supported anymore. Use gravity instead"
I have several mods with this warning looking at the xml file see the section but no sure how to change it - do we change the air to gravity or have to redo that entire section

tried to use the game files for reference but dont see them in there
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

tom42728 wrote:I am working on the John Deere 7530 Premium mod now there was one up for download full of UVs out of range errors
so far i have solved those and resolved all the warnings as well

i have encountered an issue with the lights have to hold F till work lights come on for them to stay on
will sort this out shortly and then work on adding the front loader to it

but actually dropped over to inquire on another warning "Warning: 'emitter1': Air is not supported anymore. Use gravity instead"
I have several mods with this warning looking at the xml file see the section but no sure how to change it - do we change the air to gravity or have to redo that entire section

tried to use the game files for reference but dont see them in there
Did you try just using the emissions xml from the data folder in place of the one that is in your mod? I haven't seen that error, nor dug into the references for it. Pretty sure that allowFillFromAir is not longer used, so it could have to do with that. If it's just a warning, you can ignore it for now. If I come across that reference, I'll update for it.
Lars-the-Dane wrote:I have solved my problem :-) But now I have another one. when I try to buy the tractor It says that I dont have anymore room to buy it. but there is't any thing standing outside the shop

Mod names can't have spaces or dashes or any special symbols. You have to use only numbers, letters and underscores.

You take the spaces out of the name:

John Deere 7530 E Premium_FL should be

Code: Select all

johnDeere7530EPremium_FL
As falcon said, you need to check the type in the file. If this mod was from 2011 it should have it listed.

As a note, 2009 mods require more than just this basic conversion, they would first have to be converted to 2011. So, make sure your mods are actually from 2011 and not 2009 for this basic conversion.