Request to Hide Map Icons/Symbols in Options

JohnCNVR

Request to Hide Map Icons/Symbols in Options

Post by JohnCNVR »

Dear Dev Team,

Those giant floating map icons (field purchase, shop, etc) were real immersion killers for the simulation. It was like playing a Mario game :)

All those nice trailers you posted on YouTube are without those icons and you know the reason; it makes your product look immersive, realistic and beautiful.

So please put an option in FS19 to make all these icons toggleable.

Thanks and best wishes !
Guil

Re: Request to Hide Map Icons/Symbols in Options

Post by Guil »

You can toggle them in FS17, the little blue icons above the vehicles toggle various things on and off.
JohnCNVR

Post by JohnCNVR »

Guil wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 am You can toggle them in FS17, the little blue icons above the vehicles toggle various things on and off.
Just some of them Guil... Field purchase, shop and some others were not toggleable unfortunately. Considering that you`ll own only some of the fields on the map, you frequently see these floating blue circles and it really ruins the experience for some/many sim enthusiasts.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Buy them all, problem solved lol.
JohnCNVR

Post by JohnCNVR »

Guil wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:48 am Buy them all, problem solved lol.
I`m a minimalist person :) And shop / bank / garage icons would still be floating around.

In fact I had a similar situation with Construction Simulator 15 last year. There was a big yellow circle intended as a guide for your crane but it was making the sim look like a mobile game. Well, I made a request on Steam forums and to my big surprise, the very next day, a member of the dev team prepared a beta version hiding that icon :o And later, they made it into the patched game as an option.

I guess I am hoping the same result here from the devs of one of my favorite sims, c`mon Giants, you can do it :)
Guil

Post by Guil »

It may already be as like you say so let's hope it is.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

I would offer that you need to consider the audience writ-large, not just your own desired play-style. Next thing you know, people are likely to complain that they can't find anything on the map... Just one of the many delicate balancing acts that Giants is engrossed in.

I would also offer that, from a matter of personal perspective, I have a hard time understanding how the presence of informative icons on the map break immersion for you to such an extent... You know you are playing an entertainment-oriented videogame that seeks to cater to a wide audience, right?

P.S. nice try in attempting to goad Giants into taking action based upon your experience with another company... Especially when the product in question has been formally released for a number of years prior to your request and the devs are in between development cycles right now (i.e. not in the final throes of a major release)...
malachi6

Post by malachi6 »

I think a toggle or a placard like some mod maps use would be good. Not an immersion breaker for me but they can be distracting at times.
JohnCNVR

Post by JohnCNVR »

cmdrbyron

1) Please check the definition of "toggleable"

2) Please respect other people`s right to make requests

3) Please respect other people`s preferences and playing styles (that`s why I requested toggleable icons)

if you do all these, world will be a better place :)

cmdrbyron wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:39 pm I would offer that you need to consider the audience writ-large, not just your own desired play-style. Next thing you know, people are likely to complain that they can't find anything on the map... Just one of the many delicate balancing acts that Giants is engrossed in.

I would also offer that, from a matter of personal perspective, I have a hard time understanding how the presence of informative icons on the map break immersion for you to such an extent... You know you are playing an entertainment-oriented videogame that seeks to cater to a wide audience, right?

P.S. nice try in attempting to goad Giants into taking action based upon your experience with another company... Especially when the product in question has been formally released for a number of years prior to your request and the devs are in between development cycles right now (i.e. not in the final throes of a major release)...
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

I think all the logos are automatically turned to visible when you load in so if they did add a feature to hide all of them I’d imagine you’d have to go into the settings menu to turn them off
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

Hi JohnCNVR,

First, I will lead off in saying that I agree wholeheartedly that objective, rational discussion contributes to a "better world", and my reply was intended to fall in-line with such.

Now, on to your specific points.

1) I am well aware of definition of "toggleable" (which isn't actually a word, according to the Oxford dictionary - FYI).
Reciprocal Request - that you research the concepts of "scope/time/effort" and "return on investment" (and the relation between) in the context of implementing software features

2) I did not disrespect your right to make a request. It was my intention to challenge your rationalization (you cited "immersion" as the basis of your rationale, and I disagree with the stated extent of the impact)
Reciprocal Request - respect the rights of others to challenge your request

3) I will always respect other people's preferences/playing styles (I am very much an advocate of such). Again, it was my intention to challenge your underlying rationalization, as I perceived it to be overly specific and constrained solely to "personal immersion", not actually having a significant effect (my personal opinion) on the general gameplay experience.
Reciprocal Request - be willing to accept that not every niche playstyle/preference need be accommodated within the core gameplay experience through the investment of time/effort by the developer

Further, just because an idea was proposed does not render it immune from comment/criticism by others, who may or may not agree in whole or in part.

Maybe you should take a page from your own advice and try to read replies objectively, rather than assuming you are being attacked and then taking a aggressively defensive stance in response?
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

I remember that on some maps, there is a Realty office where you purchase the fields. Perhaps that could be added.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

I believe you can buy parcels of land directly from the map now, based upon one of the earlier gameplay videos released.

Often, the icons on the maps provide a good indication on where to access the field, especially in cases of enclosed fields.
JohnCNVR

Post by JohnCNVR »

Dear cmdrbyron,

1) Oxford dictionary is not the only reference for English language
2) My request was to the dev team. I think official forum is the appropriate place to make such requests since I`m a customer of Giants Software
3) You are "assuming" that my request is going to take a lot of time/effort a) I dont agree, in my experience and opinion, this is a simple issue b) maybe we should let the devs answer my request
4) You are not challenging my rationalization, you are challenging my preference and style. Yes I dont like those icons, as simple as that. This cannot be challenged since it is a preference. I dont have to rationalize it to you or anyone else. I simply come here, make my request and expect an answer and hopefully an option from the devs. Maybe you should try to rationalize your involvement in this thread because it really doesnt make any sense to me. No offense intended...
5) I dont think you were attacking me. I`m just trying to explain to you that you are not helping anyone by objecting to a simple and kind request that might be very easy to implement.
6) I`m sure there are others like me. Hide HUD mod (one of my favorites) was downloaded many times. It may be a surprise to you but there are people out there who play without HUDs and icons. Go ahead and check youtube with "Game Name No HUD" string... Even Rockstar acknowledged this by enabling to completely turn off HUD elements in Red Dead Redemption 2. Why? Because it makes the games/sims more cinematic and more immersive.
7) Maybe you should not assume that someone feels attacked or behaving aggressive while he is simply trying to explain you kindly why you were not constructive / making much sense (no offense) in your criticism

C`mon mate, lets leave it to devs to decide. I promise this will not ruin GIANTS financially. Cheers
Last edited by JohnCNVR on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I think it's a good idea. With all the new eye candy in 19, I would like as little immersion-breaking icons as possible.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!