Cannot join multiplayer game

speedbrake

Cannot join multiplayer game

Post by speedbrake »

I'm trying to join my friend on multiplayer but I can't find his game. He's on xbox pc gamepass, I'm on steam and we have Allow cross play on.

I noticed that the number of games jumps randomly, from 28827 to 13414 to 26900 to 19297.

How can we fix this?
krystialkitten

Re: Cannot join multiplayer game

Post by krystialkitten »

This is an issue on Giant's side. I put in a support ticket and they replied with they are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it. So no, there's no real way to fix it till they figure out what's going on. This has been an ongoing issue for a few weeks now.
Tommy93

Post by Tommy93 »

I never used giants own servers/created a multiplayer game. I always rented a server, and I can highly suggest that.

It has great pro's as well,
1. You are not depending on giants servers
2. It is pretty cheap
3. Anybody with a password can log on, so no host needed to be online. You can log in whenever you want.
4. You can setup the server for 24h running.
So when the last person in the server goes offline, your save game keeps running. So when logging back in the next day it might be next month and you can get back to work right away. (Depending on how many days a month you play)

Just look up FS22 rent server and you will come across websites like Nitrado etc, when you are doing it with a couple friends you maybe pay even less then 1 pound/dollar/euro a month each person.

And ofcourse if their own server service isn't up to standards/expectations for the people who can't pay for an own server they definitely need to improve the service for those and fix their issues.
Seaquake2

Post by Seaquake2 »

On Xbox to Xbox, can’t join Multiplayer game.

But this is an issue that’s been going on for months now. After 10-15 tries we finally get in… but this time it won’t at all…
Tommy93

Post by Tommy93 »

Seaquake2 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:40 pm On Xbox to Xbox, can’t join Multiplayer game.

But this is an issue that’s been going on for months now. After 10-15 tries we finally get in… but this time it won’t at all…
That's why I made the suggestion to rent a server yourself, because it looks like giants is unable to fix their issue since it's been happening for months.
dakluit

Post by dakluit »

Tommy93 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 pm
Seaquake2 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:40 pm On Xbox to Xbox, can’t join Multiplayer game.

That's why I made the suggestion to rent a server yourself, because it looks like giants is unable to fix their issue since it's been happening for months.
This won't help. It is the server browser that is the issue. It doesn't matter if you started a multiplayer game from your pc, have your own dedicated server, or rent a server. The server browser (the selection screen where you can select a servver to join) just is bugged.
krystialkitten

Post by krystialkitten »

dakluit wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:33 pm
Tommy93 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:11 pm

This won't help. It is the server browser that is the issue. It doesn't matter if you started a multiplayer game from your pc, have your own dedicated server, or rent a server. The server browser (the selection screen where you can select a servver to join) just is bugged.
The only way renting a server helps here is if it's running 24/7. What we've found is the issue is with their server browser not refreshing or taking an hour to update and if it does, sometimes you get the error saying you cannot connect to multiplayer game. We rented a server yesterday and once we were able to see it (which took a good 30 mins of refreshing the server browser), we haven't had any issues joining it. I put in a ticket to them the other day and they said they know about it and are trying to fix the issue but that's all I was told. No timeline, no info as to the cause, nothing. I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon or if we do get one, it's gonna be a bandaid fix that half-ass works.
mibbwd

Post by mibbwd »

Its my experience that the servers can't handle the volume on the weekends. During the week I have hardly any issues playing multiplayer.... but Saturday morning its next to impossible
speedbrake

Post by speedbrake »

it's indeed been very unstable. Sometimes we can hop right in and other times we have to give up after trying for 15 minutes. At least there are plenty of other great games out there that do have working multiplayer :) But they don't have muck spreaders unfortunately...
jablam

Post by jablam »

A rented server will not fix this, that is completely false. Its a problem that goes back years, not simply weeks. They post the same "we are aware of the problem" canned response on any forum posts about the issue, but they never actualy come through with a solution. I have seen this issue multiple times on dedicated servers and multiplayer games, since 22 launched. IT has been so bad that I have seen server hosts refund my money weeks after i started renting, and delist farm sim from their website.

It is mostly accepted that there is a version mismatch proplem between stores. The various store fronts get blamed when the problem comes up, but no one is posting version differences anywhere, to help people out. Imo, big ol fail from the devs for way too long now to deserve a single shred of sympathy.
DutchTed

Post by DutchTed »

The problem has been persisting too long. Being aware of something isn't the same as dealing with something. Time to deal, Giants.

I guess not dealing with it will make people go and play another game so the FS22 servers will be less busy and people will be able to login in a timely manner again. Problem solved...
Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Post by Stegei »

We just rolled out a server side update that should reduce this issue significantly. When creating a new server, it should be visible for others within a few seconds now.
Before this, it was mostly within 30-60secs, but sometimes it could take up even several minutes or more during peak load.
krystialkitten

Post by krystialkitten »

Stegei wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:45 pm We just rolled out a server side update that should reduce this issue significantly. When creating a new server, it should be visible for others within a few seconds now.
Before this, it was mostly within 30-60secs, but sometimes it could take up even several minutes or more during peak load.
It was never 30-60 seconds..more often then not..it was 20-30 mins or more. And half the time, when the server finally did show up..you couldn't even connect to it. It would say, "Cannot connect to multiplayer game". I really hope this helps because honestly..your playerbase is getting a bit peeved.
negihes

Post by negihes »

As you mentioned, make sure that you both have "Allow Crossplay" enabled in the game settings. This is crucial to play together, especially if you are on different platforms (Xbox Game Pass and Steam). The fluctuating numbers you mentioned might indicate a problem with the game's server stability. These numbers usually represent the number of available game sessions. High fluctuations might indicate a server problem. You can't do much about this except waiting for the issue to be resolved by the game's developers. Ensure that both you and your friend have the latest updates for the game installed. Sometimes, disparities in versions can prevent crossplay.