Rennebu Prison Blues

Share your creations with us!
humbe

Re: Rennebu Prison Blues

Post by humbe »

olahaldor wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:13 pm ...
There were some early, non-approved conversions which totally messed up my inbox with loads of shouting and kicking and crying from people who didn't get it on modhub, because it wasn't there. :) thus, no support.

The silage cage was changed because Orkel launched an official cage IRL, the one I made had to go to adhere to their wish and my contract with them.
Sadly way too many taking modders for granted, working for free to improve the game for everyone. Thanks again for contributing. I'd say any support is above and beyond, even for a modhub mod.

Hmm. What's this? In my western wilds map, sheep needs only grass and water.. Here it says silage too.. Health and production sticks to 0% even as time passes.

Did a test and set up 5 different pastures and all needed both grass and silage, and neither got any health or production, even though I gave them both hay and water.. Even if I unloaded all mods, so I had only building of norway mod installed.

Tried to feed a silage bale into pen, but that just added to grass count for some reason.. Hmm..
humbe

Post by humbe »

Trying to put more silage into the pen, and the sheeps seem happier.. Dunno why the first bale of silage did just seem to add to grass amount. When I added the second 3500 liter silage bale, there was slightly more than 3500 liters of silage in it. Anyhow. Adding more seems to get it working

Early June 1997, there's 22911 liters of grass, 10134 liters of silage and 162 liters of wool in the pen. We went hiking in the mountains and grabbed some vacation. When we got back early July, there were still 24011 liters of grass and 9034 liters of silage in the pen, and 745 liters of wool.

Thus, our sheep has eaten 1100 liters of silage. Due to the animals grazing, it's hard to know how much grass they have consumed, but I'm guessing that might be a similar amount. Grass amount has risen, but that is a side-effect of the grazing mod I think. It seems to cut down grass in the pen and add it to the through when the levels gets low in there.

Our sheep now appear healthy, and 1100 liters of silage a month we can handle easily. There's now 68 sheep in the pen though. We can fit in much more sheep. If we get the pen to capacity of 500, that's 8088 liters of silage a month, and we assume the animals might eat more then they get older too, so possibly quite a bit more than that. Still, that sounds like a fairly small part of all the grass we can harvest up here.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Trying to put more silage into the pen, and the sheeps seem happier.. I guess silage for sheeps is a map specific change. Dunno why the first bale of silage did just seem to add to grass amount. When I added the second 3500 liter silage bale, there was slightly more than 3500 liters of silage in it. Anyhow. Adding more seems to get it working.

Early June 1997, there's 22911 liters of grass, 10134 liters of silage and 162 liters of wool in the pen. We went hiking in the mountains and grabbed some vacation. When we got back early July, there were still 24011 liters of grass and 9034 liters of silage in the pen, and 745 liters of wool.

Thus, our sheep has eaten 1100 liters of silage. Due to the animals grazing, it's hard to know how much grass they have consumed, but I'm guessing that might be a similar amount. Grass amount has risen, but that is a side-effect of the grazing mod I think. It seems to cut down grass in the pen and add it to the through when the levels gets low in there.

Our sheep now appear healthy, and 1100 liters of silage a month we can handle easily. There's now 68 sheep in the pen though. We can fit in much more sheep. If we get the pen to capacity of 500, that's 8088 liters of silage a month, and we assume the animals might eat more then they get older too, so possibly quite a bit more than that. Still, that sounds like a fairly small part of all the grass we can harvest up here.

Oh.. And assuming they ate 1100 liters of grass too, that's 2200 liters of grass for 583 liters of wool. That wool is worth much more than the grass at least. With a good price of 12.1 kroner per liter that's ~7000 kroner worth of wool vs ~4200 kroner worth of silage if the grass was also turned into silage.

As it's July, I guess it's time for another grass harvest.

humbe

Post by humbe »

Yeah.. I get they are pi**.. I get they are honking.. But hard for me to see down there..

Not really sure why round bales are so popular. Rolling doesn't sound like a great bale feature. They're heavy too, so somebody coulda gotten hurt. We might look into square bales when upgrading gear later.

But what's all the traffic coming from Nerskogen towards Orkanger? Why is almost all the traffic going between Nerskogen and Orkanger? Have newspaper ads on what happens in Berkåk scared everyone from passing by? I have no idea how traffic is handled in maps, though I'm guessing setting up a single route is simplest, and that traffic likely isn't handling very well independent traffic crossing the same roads. In that case, the current route is good to get traffic onto many parts of the map. But in theory, would be nice, if one could set up traffic on most roads, but make it so it is more on the bigger roads than on smaller roads. Like, a route with many cars just going through road 700, and some smaller routes with less traffic, also using road 700 but starting or ending through smaller roads.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Enough is enough.. This wrapper of ours doesn't work!!!

Works better 3-point mounted than front loader mounted, but still I pick up bales and it won't wrap them occasionally which gets really annoying retrying the same bale over and over in hopes of it detecting it. I'll stuff in a more functional wrapper, even though it's too new for my time period. For all I know though, something similar existed in '97, but even if it didn't I need something that works in game.

The new wrapper is excellent in comparison, and the extension that flips the bales coming out means they don't roll all over the place. If only I could connect this thing behind the baler somehow.

A new wrapper put us in depth though. Now owing 150k to the bank, and liquidity is low. I guess maybe I'll do yet another baling mission to fix it, but we'll see.. Or we'll just pay rent until we get payout for silage.
humbe

Post by humbe »

A baling mission later, and we're loan free with some to spare.. The grain producers seems to be on top of their tasks themselves, so all contract work is baling.. Getting tired of those, but also wants to get wool production going. Doing yet another one for income to get a few more sheep. Currently we're at 95. Shooting for 50 young and 50 mature ones, and then let it grow naturally from there.

We see that Kristian has a baling contract out for field 43, so I guess he owns plot 32 with a farmyard and field 43, 50 and 58.. I see he wants to sell, and that looks like a fine farm to start up a bigger operation in. It's not far away from our hilly sheep area, and it's also close to the grain mill which can be useful. Farms can't be sold on the open market, so the price is state controlled. Thus we can get the farm for only 3.7 million kroner. That's still quite a lot more money than we have though. We're hoping that we can earn quite a bit of money on silage and wool to build up a decent amount of money ourselves, and that the bank at some point is willing to cough up the rest. Not sure how much the bank might be willing to give, but not knowing the profits we'll make, I don't want to take up too big a loan. Also, once we do own the plot we likely want to get more machinery too, to be able to farm something else than grass, so money will be in short supply..

A baling mission later, with 7 extra bales to sell, and we've now got 100 sheep and 247 thousand kroner to spare..

Nice that the limit for the missions are set with good margin. No matter if you don't harvest every corner of the field, or if crop destruction destroys some of it, you will still be able to complete all the missions.

Also noticed that silage bales do ferment over time in game. Thought that was seasons in FS19, and FS22 was simplified to just make it silage as soon as they were wrapped. I guess that explains why the first bale I put into sheep pen added to grass instead of silage.
humbe

Post by humbe »

It's October 1997, and we're doing the final grass harvest of the year.

The wrapper we bought was excellent. The extension that flips the bales over so they don't roll away works great. This baling wagon also works lovely. A bit heavy to haul it upwards our steepest fields, so we're trying to avoid doing that when it's getting close to full.. Quite a lot of bales gathered here.

I swear we left all these bales neatly stacked. How did they tumble over? The wind? Sabotage? I'm guessing we'll wreck more havoc here trying to pick them back up for selling with the baling wagon. The trees we seeded around 1.5 years ago I think, have grown up quite a bit. Must be fast growing spruce ;) They nicely mark the end of our property, though a few got a bit close to our grass field. Utilizing too much of the plot creates a few issues..

Sometimes, bales seems to be pushed by stuff that is not even close to them. Physics for bumping into objects, bounding boxes and chain reactions are probably difficult to get correct when coding. Some sort of placeable that helps store the bales in a good looking way would be nice. I reverse into these stacks with more bales, and I see bales starting to tremble before I'm actually close to touching them.

I coulda earned a ton of money baling for everyone else here, but I figure we'll try to get them to do it themselves mostly, unless we're in critical cash shortage.

Also a bit surprised to see only baling contracts most of the time. I guess it can be some game issue not randomly picking contracts in a way fitting with the map having ~150 fields. Maybe baling contracts are created first, and then due to the massive amount of fields, we hit some max contract count or something before starting to generate other contracts. There's 31 baling contracts showing now, and we did one fairly recently, so maybe there's a max 32 contracts or something. Pondering whether I should test clearing out all the contracts from the savegame and see what it generates when the list is empty to begin with.