Crop Yield Assessment + general info

robin_van_leeuwen

Re: Crop Yield Assessment

Post by robin_van_leeuwen »

inzainia wrote:
Reactivist wrote:Canola is worth more but you get a lot less volume of it from a field, I have not accurately tested but the combine fills up much faster on the same field with wheat than it does with canola so it could be that the end profit per field is similar, also harvested canola fields do not produce straw for bales which brings in more money.
good info, thanks, i forgot about bales from wheat and barley. ive no clue how much they sell for though, if someone could sell just one, (as i cant afford a bailing machine yet because im spending everything i earn to pay back the bank loan you start with!) i would appreciate the info. and ill add it to the first post.

growing a crop of wheat in the same field full yield, so we will know somewhat accurate size/samplings here shortly, ill add them to the above list as i go.

thanks for the reply :)

*edit* and of course the first time i DON'T grow canola, guess what?.... Canola great demand! :( lolz 1.9x the price.
Instead of making bales with the bailer, you could also use a bergmann shuttle 900k and take the straw of your fields..
The straw you could dump in the straw barn on the farm! and giving you money back! (you need a kuhn windrower to make nice packages to take with your bergmann trailer)

Thats handy, because you need to have te money to can get a bailer!. And de loading wagon is cheaper plus you can transport grass and straw with it..
inzainia

Post by inzainia »

robin_van_leeuwen wrote: Instead of making bales with the bailer, you could also use a bergmann shuttle 900k and take the straw of your fields..
The straw you could dump in the straw barn on the farm! and giving you money back! (you need a kuhn windrower to make nice packages to take with your bergmann trailer)

Thats handy, because you need to have te money to can get a bailer!. And de loading wagon is cheaper plus you can transport grass and straw with it..
any idea what this picked up hay sells for? if you could get a gross price, i could add it to the page, say if you picked up 1000 units and sold them could you post the price? it wouldnt have to be exact so long as you post how many you picked up and how much you got, a lil math would give me the approximate unit cost. thanks for this info :)
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

Wiggy1990 wrote:Ive been following this thread to get some insight into the crop values. Id like to thank everyone who tested various ideas. Seeing as im too lazy to do so, i appreciate the work others did. :mrgreen: In response, specifically to Staalker, what equipment do you need to start up for cows? I have some sheep, and am just feeding them cut grass from the profihopper mower. Is that sufficient? I know the cows need more, but im not entirely sure on what is needed.
To get milk, you need to feed them a mix. There is a machine that does this for you, it's pretty costly early on.

It requires chopped corn AND hay.

That means you need to be able to plant corn, which requires a specific seeder. You need to be able to chop it into sillage, which also requires specific equipment.

The only corn seeder is the Amazone EDX 6000, which costs 58000.

To chop it when it ready for harvest, you need either the pull behind chopper (Pottinger MEX 6) or a chopping head for a harvester. 48900 for the Pottinger MEX 6, 41000 for the chop head. I managed to get the chopper head to attach to my starting harvester, but it controlled horribly. I wouldn't recommend doing it for very long without a bigger harvester. While the description will tell you that a head is for a certain piece of equipment, it will typically fit any harvester. Chopped corn is called Silage.

As for hay, you have several options. You can grow wheat or barley, collect the straw. Or you can mow and collect the grass. To use the grass as hay you also need a tedder to flip it so it can dry. Then you can collect it. Straw will always be considered hay without tedding.

Once you have that, you need a mixer. The cheapest is 39790. But to use it, you need a frontloader to fill it with hay and silage.

Once it's filled you can deposit the mix into the feed trough.

Now, you can have cows that will produce some liquid manure if you feed them only hay or silage. And they will eventually produce milk, but it will be in very small quantities.

If you plan to make money from cattle, you need to feed them mix. And that is costly.

Feeding just sheep hay will produce wool just fine. Sheep are easy and the wool can make decent money.

I wouldn't mess with cattle until you can get all the equipment to do it right, and make sure you have decent tractors and harvesters.

Oh, by the way. You recommended always keeping some crops in the silo for great demands. Unless it's changed, that is a bad idea.

Crops can ruin, if they sit in the silo too long. You will see one day that your grain just went down for no reason. You didn't sell it, it just vanished. We used to think this was a bug, then someone said it was because the crops rotted in the silo for sitting there too long. Now, that may have changed. I haven't tested it yet to see. But previously, after a week or so you would start losing crops in the silo until there were no more, because of spoilage.

I am thinking it hasn't changed, simply because when you read the in game help icon it says "temporary storage".

Once I confirm this, I will gladly update. Just a heads up for now.
andysim212

Re: Crop Yield Assessment + general info

Post by andysim212 »

where do you sell square and round bales? just for future info =)

Thanks
Staalker

Post by Staalker »

There is a building on your farm right where the vehicles started out at, it has small piles of straw in front of it.

Just put them in the doorway and they sell instantly.
andysim212

Post by andysim212 »

great thanks!!
ProHib5o

Post by ProHib5o »

inzainia wrote:
Vaporblast wrote:Thanks for the info!

you're more than welcome. more will come as i discover it :) so check back often
I will.
spidair

Post by spidair »

Staalker wrote:There is a building on your farm right where the vehicles started out at, it has small piles of straw in front of it.

Just put them in the doorway and they sell instantly.
.. or you can drive down to the bio gas plant and dump them in the shredder there and get money for them... I must add that I have NOT tried this myself, but if the biogas facility is tha same as in FS2011 you can..... And therefor I can not provide you with prices from one or the other place.... You just have to try, but if you do, please come back here and tell us the diff, if any... :)
traveler159

Post by traveler159 »

Well, the corn yield for FS2013 is a big disapointment. Using field 15 and 16 (plowed together) + using fertilizers, I got a yield of 26 661.

I was honestly expecting it to be in the range of 40-45k. I guess the only use of corn in FS2013 will be the silage.

Basicly, Corn does not worth it unless its for cows.
Can you believe that I played FS2011 on hard for years and never used fertilizer?

Only to learn that fertilizers double the yield in FS2013 AND FS2011!

True story!
Metz

Post by Metz »

traveler159 wrote:Basicly, Corn does not worth it unless its for cows.

In my opinion thats wrong.

Forage corn (chaff) and ferment (1 hour realtime) into silage at the biogas plant, and then dump it in the shredder.
You will get 800 pr 1000 units.

I use field no. 7 just outside the biogas plant for corn, and each harvest I get 550.000 units of corn-chaff wich sells for 440.000.

You can also use moved grass at the biogas plant.

Biggest cashcow I've seen so far. :biggrin2:
markothevrba

Post by markothevrba »

Sorry for the noob question, I haven't done anything corn yet, but where exactly do you sell corn chaff?

Also, for sillage, which is better corn or grass... what is the difference anyway?
Metz

Post by Metz »

Corn chaff is fermented into silage and used to feed cows.
Its also used at the biogas plant (but you know that already by now)

Moved grass can also be used for silage at the biogas plant.
HDtheEighth

Post by HDtheEighth »

Metz wrote:Corn chaff is fermented into silage and used to feed cows.
Its also used at the biogas plant (but you know that already by now)

Moved grass can also be used for silage at the biogas plant.
They are actually the same. I am putting mowed grass in the one "pit" at my cow pen and fermenting that to silage and using it to feed my cows
Metz

Post by Metz »

Nice to know, HDtheEight.
I tried dumping moved grass into that bin, but it didn't accept it.
Maybe its a bug with that spesific wagon? Bergmann HTW 65 Forage Transport Trailer. Its the last of the tipper trailers.

I'll try another wagon next time.