silage help

dirtjumpet

silage help

Post by dirtjumpet »

i'm no where rdy for cows but i read selling silage is pretty good money. I have a loading wagon that i pick up the left overs from wheat and barely and have been selling it at the barn on the main part of the farm. I don't know any thing about silage expect i think its made by the cow pen where u run over the grass to compact it. But i was wondering do u have to use grass or can i use the wheat and barley pickings and throw in the pit?
dirtjumpet

Re: silage help

Post by dirtjumpet »

ah, i tried and it says straw is not accepted here. Didn't know it was considered straw lol. So the only thing i can do with this is sell it?
PEIFarmer

Post by PEIFarmer »

You could bale it and use it as food.
dirtjumpet

Post by dirtjumpet »

k, just checkin to make sure their wasn't another way since i don't wanna buy bailer and trailer right now. Another quick question, what is the little squared off place right beside where u make silage for?
fatherjimbo

Post by fatherjimbo »

You can dump the straw into the BGA. It doesn't give you any money but you get liquid fertalizer.
Boosted

Post by Boosted »

dirtjumpet wrote:i'm no where rdy for cows but i read selling silage is pretty good money. I have a loading wagon that i pick up the left overs from wheat and barely and have been selling it at the barn on the main part of the farm. I don't know any thing about silage expect i think its made by the cow pen where u run over the grass to compact it. But i was wondering do u have to use grass or can i use the wheat and barley pickings and throw in the pit?
You can make silage but cutting LOTS AN LOTS of grass, grab a loading wagon and load it all up. Haul it to the cow pen and dump it between those two concrete walls that have the road going through it. when you've stored all the grass you want, or, you reach 100% (i dumped nearly 150k units of grass and was at about 35%) but then you get out of the tractor and walk up to the bunker silo, it'll give u the option to put a tarp over it to start fermenting (must be over 12% to do this and 100% compacted) fermenting takes roughly 100 minutes (1 minute = 1%) in real time, time compression WILL NOT speed this process up. once fermenting is done, you got your silage.

As for the "bunker" next to it with the 3 walls, this is the solid manure pen, if u feed your cows, and have straw bedding in the cow pen, they will create solid manure for you to either use in green houses or in a manure spreader.

EDIT: If I recall theres also a bunker silo at the BGA in which silage can be made, but I never heard of silage being sold, only ever heard it being used to feed cows, is it actually good money?
Targa

Post by Targa »

You make the silage at the BioGas plant and use your FEL to drop it into the little chute there, and they buy it from you. I think that's what the OP must have read about.

The most effective way is to buy the Krone Big X 1000 forage harvester and the Krone corn header, plant corn and harvest it with that. Then deliver it all to between the concrete walls at the BG plant. Run over it with your tractor or FEL to compact it to 100%. Cover it with a tarp until it's fermented, then drop it in the chute. As far as the profit from this vs actually harvesting the corn to sell, I have no idea which is more profitable.
Boosted

Post by Boosted »

Targa wrote:You make the silage at the BioGas plant and use your FEL to drop it into the little chute there, and they buy it from you. I think that's what the OP must have read about.

The most effective way is to buy the Krone Big X 1000 forage harvester and the Krone corn header, plant corn and harvest it with that. Then deliver it all to between the concrete walls at the BG plant. Run over it with your tractor or FEL to compact it to 100%. Cover it with a tarp until it's fermented, then drop it in the chute. as far as the profit from this vs actually harvesting the corn to sell, I have no idea which is more profitable.
Thats why u use grass silage, cuz it was free, so even if u make 1$ is more then it cost you. But if u own a big grass field u can get a decent amount of silage quick, never sold any so idk how good the money is
Cras

Post by Cras »

I started doing the silage thing at the Biogass Plant, just for some quick bucks between the other duties at my farm.

I use the little Same tractor with a cutter in front and a forage-wagon in the back. Bought field number 5, planted it with grass and I try to keep 2 silage-lanes busy, one fermenting, the other one filling up with freshly cut grass.

I'm using the big Lizard frontloader to haul silage from the lane to the chute. It holds 10k silage which sells for roughly 7000 to 10000 per scoop. I haven't got the slightest idea where that value comes from, but i've noticed it fluctuating. The Lizard has payed itself off bigtime now :)

On a side-note and totally offtopic: I'm using this forage-wagon (url=http://ls-planet.com/mod/horal-mv-022-forage-wagon]Horal MV 022[/url], which is an excellent (and cheap!!) wagon, it holds 24000 and costs around 20k. But it fills up mighty quick as opposed to the standard forage wagons. Is this due to the mod or are there other factors playing here?
dirtjumpet

Post by dirtjumpet »

Bought the little field by bio place and planted grass. Will see how much money u make selling silage. Got loader and grass mowers rdy to go. Will start working on it tomorrow after work
Racn

Post by Racn »

For the Bio Gas Plant, use corn for silage, way better tonage.
Punnikin

Post by Punnikin »

I agree with Racn as far as the efficiency of corn for silage, but if you get the Big X 1000 with a mower on it you can get quite a bit of silage from grassy areas and your own planted grass (which is generally a lot denser than wild grass) as well as wheat and barley if the markets for them are really low and still do well at the gas plant. I generally get both the cutter and mower and never run out of chaff possibilities. You can easily pay for the Big X and implements quickly if you use both.
dirtjumpet

Post by dirtjumpet »

Theirs a tank in the bio area that has a %full when u go near it. What is it for?
fatherjimbo

Post by fatherjimbo »

dirtjumpet wrote:Theirs a tank in the bio area that has a %full when u go near it. What is it for?
Holds liquid manure that is generated from the BGA.
lizard_king

Post by lizard_king »

fatherjimbo wrote: but then you get out of the tractor and walk up to the bunker silo, it'll give u the option to put a tarp over it to start fermenting (must be over 12% to do this and 100% compacted) fermenting takes roughly 100 minutes (1 minute = 1%)
I can't get the cover option to appear. I'm standing on top of 136296 units of grass I dumped into the area it compacts, but I can't get this option to appear to begin fermentation. Is the option unavailable if it's compacting already?