Buying forest plots?

BadManiac

Buying forest plots?

Post by BadManiac »

It's currently a well known fact around here that forestry is a bit out of order and that you can make a lot of money very easy and fast through logging. I agree that it needs to be changed, however my main gripe is that every single tree on the map is fair game and costs no money. You can just chop down trees in town, in peoples yards, absolutely anywhere. That has to be changed. Why do you have to buy fields to use them, but not forest plots?
You should have to buy a plot in order to log there, and any trees outside that plot are impossible to cut down.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_inventory

Is this a planned feature? Can it be modded in?
lrokinrobin

Re: Buying forest plots?

Post by lrokinrobin »

you can buy plots and use them for forestry. You buy saplings(Fir) at the garden center. Each pallet contains 20 trees.
Mix

Post by Mix »

That's not what he is saying at all, lrokinrobin.

BadManiac, I agree that would be a nice feature, I would like to see a mod with that involved.
NoScar

Post by NoScar »

BadManiac wrote:It's currently a well known fact around here that forestry is a bit out of order and that you can make a lot of money very easy and fast through logging. I agree that it needs to be changed, however my main gripe is that every single tree on the map is fair game and costs no money. You can just chop down trees in town, in peoples yards, absolutely anywhere. That has to be changed. Why do you have to buy fields to use them, but not forest plots?
You should have to buy a plot in order to log there, and any trees outside that plot are impossible to cut down.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_inventory

Is this a planned feature? Can it be modded in?
I believe the ability to cut any tree down anywhere was implemented in FS15 because in other versions some trees were in the way, ai's getting stuck on the trees, ect.
Murph

Post by Murph »

I don't believe that there's anything terribly broken here, that needs to be fixed. Forestry only gives stupidly high income if you blatantly cheat and don't do the forestry in a realistic fashion. Being able to cut down trees anywhere is a very good feature that should not be changed. People just need to learn some self control and learn to play properly, rather than just LOL-FARMINGZ their way around to huge cash, if they don't like the fast cash. Balance should only be based on the income vs. effort of playing realistically, and never on the income which comes from completely ignoring reality and just cheating.
Mac user
Damack

Post by Damack »

I have to agree just like a plot for growing you can't just go on one you don't own and start cultivating and growing.

Same thing with logging.. You shouldn't be able to just chop down any old tree...

You should have to purchase rights to that area and only have a cretin amount of time for that purchase.. If you need more time then you pay for it. That would be more realistic and I think would put a bit more fun in to the game. Having to race the clock per-say to cut down and remove as many trees as possible.
junttieinari

Post by junttieinari »

NoScar wrote: I believe the ability to cut any tree down anywhere was implemented in FS15 because in other versions some trees were in the way, ai's getting stuck on the trees, ect.
Next we need option to burn buildings as AI get stuck them once a while when turning tractor around on field work. :lol: Seems like they haven't learned anything as still placing stuff too near fields, kinda annoying :hmm:
Nuffield FTW!
BadManiac

Post by BadManiac »

NoScar wrote:I believe the ability to cut any tree down anywhere was implemented in FS15 because in other versions some trees were in the way, ai's getting stuck on the trees, ect.
If that's the case I also need the ability to blow up houses and remove fences... [/sarcasm]

I know you can practice self control and play realistically, and I try to do so. That doesn't mean the game can't be improved no? Currenty I've chosen a small plot of trees, bought something rather expensive at the store and just straight sold it again to "simulate" paying for the plot, I just wish it was built into the game.
Murph

Post by Murph »

BadManiac wrote:I know you can practice self control and play realistically, and I try to do so. That doesn't mean the game can't be improved no? Currenty I've chosen a small plot of trees, bought something rather expensive at the store and just straight sold it again to "simulate" paying for the plot, I just wish it was built into the game.
Improved, sure, but preventing tree felling other than in designated approved/purchased areas would be the opposite of an improvement. It's absurd to add tree felling to the game, then block the reasonable felling of trees which might be in the way of farm operations. The ability to fell trees anywhere on the map is significantly useful in realistic, non-cheaty play. N.B. I'm not arguing for making obscene amounts of money off trees anywhere on the map, but for the currently available ability to fell them when they are an obstacle to farming. In some cases, it may be a useful mitigation of some of the problems with the terrible dumb hired worker driving.

It's almost always a big mistake to add any sort of selective action blocking to this type of open-world sandbox game, unless absolutely necessary.
Mac user
CosmicNite

Post by CosmicNite »

Farming simulator 15, a open world sandbox game that the developers let us play it how we want! Who thought that was a good idea?

I'm not saying the games perfect but it's a massive step forwards, more freedom for the player can only be a good thing. In real life what's stopping me from cutting down a neighbours or any tree for that matter? The law? Right and wrong maybe? The wood still cuts.

If people are really worried about the natural beauty of the landscape you can just buy a field and plant saplings on it! Wouldn't that solve the problem?

I do like the idea of tree felling mission but you would need to add replanting or it wouldn't be repeatable.

Somehow I don't think the forums would be full of love if you could only cut down a few trees in a small area and you didn't earn much money from it.

Cosmic.
Ex-farmer who should know better enjoying farming simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCosmicNite
CosmicNite

Post by CosmicNite »

The problem isn't with the ability to cut down trees but no penalties for cutting down trees you shouldn't.

Maybe a reputation system could work, if you cut down trees outside a area you don't own or have rights you gain bad reputation that might mean you get less money when selling your corn..ect.

Having a system like that in place would mean you could still cut down the odd tree near a field if needed (as any farmer would do)

I just think taking the ability to cut down all trees would be a backward step now.

Cosmic.
Ex-farmer who should know better enjoying farming simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCosmicNite
reider

Post by reider »

What others do is totally their concern. When I buy a simulator what bothers me is what I do, not what others do. Except in a multi player situation where rules are normally set anyway. I like to cut down trees in my way around the farm, I'd be happy just to burn them and make no money. If others chop them down and sell them well that does not affect me in any way at all, nor does it bother me in the slightest. I know how to get rid of the trees using the editor but much prefer the simulation reality I get from taking them down myself and choosing the exact ones in my way, leaving the rest as they are.
stepcz

Post by stepcz »

Agree with OP, cutting trees anywhere is not realistic and not motivating at all. It is equal to owning all fields right from the start. I think there should be 2 possibilities - 1) purchasing or renting a piece of forest - just like any other field, but allows planting of trees only and what you plant and cut is yours to sell or 2) being hired to cut or plant trees in not owned forests on owner's behalf and getting paid just for the service, while owner keeps the wood (this could work well as a mission too).
Murph

Post by Murph »

stepcz wrote:Agree with OP, cutting trees anywhere is not realistic and not motivating at all. It is equal to owning all fields right from the start. I think there should be 2 possibilities - 1) purchasing or renting a piece of forest - just like any other field, but allows planting of trees only and what you plant and cut is yours to sell or 2) being hired to cut or plant trees in not owned forests on owner's behalf and getting paid just for the service, while owner keeps the wood (this could work well as a mission too).
Being unable to cut down obstructive or annoying trees around fields that you own is not realistic either. Adding restrictions like the above to the game has major downsides. People just need to decide what is acceptable for themselves. If they can't stick to rules that they personally define and choose, they need professional help, not more and more restrictions added to an open-world sandbox game.
Mac user
jeff1963

Post by jeff1963 »

There is nothing wrong with the current ability to cut trees down at will. If you can't control yourself that is ones own problem. I would hate to lose the ability to cut down trees between fields and join them myself as I see fit. I have no problem if someone else wants to de-forest their entire map it's you're choice.