MP questions ...

W1der

MP questions ...

Post by W1der »

Started getting in to MP lately ...

Is there a "guide" anywhere ... like "FAQ" os something?
I have a few questions (but starting with one, for now) ... :)

What is this "Hash" !?

[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
SenSeo

Re: MP questions ...

Post by SenSeo »

W1der wrote:Started getting in to MP lately ...

Is there a "guide" anywhere ... like "FAQ" os something?
I have a few questions (but starting with one, for now) ... :)

What is this "Hash" !?

It's also in the careerSavegame xml i think it's some sort of identity key so the game knows what mod it is even if you have changed the name of the zip and someone else in multiplayer didn't the game will still see them as being the same mod.Just guessing here...
[Windows 10 Pro running from Kingston ssd,Asus Maximus IX Hero,I7 7700K,Crucial 16gb RAM,MSI GTX 960 4gb,PS4 controller via usb]
Alshain

Re: MP questions ...

Post by Alshain »

A hash is a calculation done on a file to ensure it's validity and for other identification purposes. Two files with identical data will produce an identical hash. As mentioned, the game uses them to ensure you have the mod the server needs. However, in other applications they can be used to ensure the file you download is complete and uncorrupted, or uninfected.

Often times, especially in Linux circles, you will see a file provided for download and a hash code next to it. The idea is you download the file, run a hash calculator on it, and compare the two. If they match you are good, if not then something is wrong. This is used quite often behind the scenes of your programs, you don't always know it is happening.

Hash codes can often be used to encrypt passwords for storage too. You enter a new password, the program converts it to hash, and then stores only the hash, not the password. When you log in, it converts the password you entered to hash and compares the stored hash with the new hash and if they match you get logged in. This forum software does exactly that in fact. This is done because even the most secure databases can be hacked, but reversing a hash into a password is very difficult. So if someone were to hack in and get the passwords out of the database, all they would have is a bunch of hashes and they wouldn't get far.

It should be noted that there are different hash calculations that produce different hash codes. I do not know which one this is. sha1 and md5 are the most common ones you see, but there are many other variants.